Monday, May 16, 2011

Middle Aged

Things That Went Right Today:

1) Big birthday hug from my 6 year old this morning
2) Well wishes from dear friends. Thank you all.
3) Going out to dinner tonight. No need to cook.

Ok so I read this morning that the average life expectancy in the United States is 78 years old. Today is my 43rd birthday, so I guess that makes me officially middle aged. Yikes!!! When the heck did THAT happen? A couple years ago my son called me old. I argued that I was no such thing and he said, "Mom...when you were my age, would YOU have thought you were old?" UM...reality check. Yeah, I guess I would have. Hmmmm. Who knew? Middle aged just isn't as old as I used to think it was.  Perspective is a funny thing isn't it? ;-)

I am grateful today day for another year to be alive. For friends and family that love and support me. Excited to see what this next year holds in store. I hope by age 44 to have a couple of books out in print and my website fully launched and thriving.  To finally figure out youtube! To be actively sharing the gratitude lifestyle with others in broader ways. To be fully living it every single day myself too and reaping all the joy it brings with it.

 It would be tempting to go back and be 23 again and have that youthful body and energy level. But I wouldn't want to give up the wisdom I have gained with time and experience. It's also interesting to think about beaming ahead to a time when I will travel more and have less daily responsibility on my shoulders. But yet, I wouldn't want to miss a thing. So I am contented today to be exactly where I am. The message of this blog is to be thankful for THIS day! Here and now. Blessings and troubles all weaving together into the life I am blessed to live right this very minute. Dreaming big dreams. Learning new things. Play and laughter a priority. Loving and serving others. Learning to roll with the punches.  43 is awesome!!! Middle aged is a wonderful place to be. Bring on the cake!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Laura,
    Happy Birthday. I can't wait to see those books of yours either!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete